Thursday, January 24, 2013

This is why I LOVE my job....

Yesterday during a library visit a student looked at me...and their eyes opened big and round, as if it was Christmas morning and the exact gift they wanted was under the tree. They smiled from ear to ear and said, "Mrs Tackett, I can see your hair growing!" It was honest emotion from the bottom of their heart. And it made my heart pound with joy. These students have loved me all year. They have showered me with homemade cards, gifts, hugs and words of encouragement. And more than anything, acceptance. Not only for someone who was fighting a disease, but also for someone who looked different. This is my home away from home and I love it here. I love that they are not afraid to see me any way but healthy...without hair! LOL! Many have asked if my hair will ever grow back. And I assure them it is from the medicine, not from the illness. There is peace in their mind when they know that. They smile and nod their head in acceptance of that answer. And those smiles are what make my day. Until yesterday. Their happiness that it was coming back was a thrill for me. We learned last week that you can loose up to 100 strands of hair a day. You can imagine the fun I had with that bit of trivia!

1 comment:

  1. Love you, Tackett, with or without hair. :) We do have some sweet students, don't we?!

    ReplyDelete