Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Dr. Says you need to choose Plan A or Plan B

Today was a follow-up with my surgeon.  Way to much drainage. He wants me to hold my arm against my body so that the skin has time to heal and reattach.  No exercising, no lifting, let my body heal!

Then we moved on to the fact that there is still cancer in my body.  Time to get it out.  At this point I have have a choice, PLAN A: go in and try again to have the cells captured PLAN B: or have a mastectomy.

I chose to go ahead and have him try again.  This time there will be areas of my breast that have to be removed and then sewn back together again.  There will be a difference in the size and shape after this surgery.

I chose this plan, not because I need to keep my breast to feel "whole" or feminine, but again, it is the least invasive which should cut back on side effects.

During the surgery, my Dr. Will put in a button under my skin for receiving chemo.  It has a line to go into my blood system for treatment.  The middle of the button is soft and made for the needle to be  enserted there.  I will have several months of chemo. That brought a few tears to sting my eyes.  I had way to much cancer in me.  And because of that, there is a high probability there is cancer someplace else.  That statement, whether you are ready for it or not, kicks you in the gut.  My head started spinning with that statement.

So surgery is set for tomorrow morning.  I will go to work until 10 and then go to the hospital to check in by 11.  Friday I will stay home and rest.  And then there's Saturday and Sunday to rest also.  There is no humor in this posting.  I guess this is the serious side of cancer.

I know I still haven't wrapped my head around the magnitude of having cancer.  I am blessed to feel great -aside from the pain in my side, known as a drainage tube-and so it is overwhelming knowing my body is really fighting something this serious.

But one of my amazing friends recently told me I was Not fighting this alone....I have a whole army fighting with me.

If you haven't made the call that could save your life yet, call tomorrow.  Get your mammogram scheduled now.  Do it for the ones you love.  Do it for the ones who love you.  Do it for me, because it doesn't hurt and it will save your life.  And I need you in my life!

More after surgery! All my love to my friends and my FAMILY.


2 comments:

  1. Deb, I just sat down and read your blog from beginning to end. I am so moved by your story and your strength. I am praying for you and your family every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb - I am reading this on Thursday afternoon and I hope that your surgery is already finished. I am praying for you, girlfriend! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete