Friday, September 7, 2012

Willard has left the body!

It was a long day! And an emotional one.

It began with my surgeon finding us and telling me that Willard was 2 1/2 times bigger than had been figured. The MRI I did on Tuesday ended up being worth it. It gave the surgeon more information before going in and for that I am thankful.  Because of its size he wasn't able to go in from the side, instead I have a cut from under my arm to my nipple.

I also have a huge jagged one under my arm where he had to look for and remove my lymph nodes.  The cancer had encircled the first node so that didn't allow the dye to travel for the surgeon to map it out.

No eating or drinking since Wednesday night at 8 pm makes for a miserable day! I especially missed my pumpkin spice or island coconut or Nantucket coffee! So by 11 the headache was hitting. Add to that the stress, and the surgeon mentioning chemo the headache intensified! It was Turning into a migrane which caused me to get sick to my stomach and dry heaves. That in turn made my head hurt more! Vicious circle....

At 11, they gave me 4 shots of dye around my nipple...yes it hurt, but after the biopsy it was completely tolerable.   The dr then massaged my breast to get the dye moving.  I told him he could have at least bought me dinner first! Thank goodness he had a sence of humor....cuz he laughed.  The sweet girl in radiology both enjoyed my humor.  They said most patients are really stressed out and emotional.  Guess they don't have a rock named Sean behind them!

The dye never moved.... So after 345 they gave up and sent me to surgery.  Once I got there, the anathesiologist gave me some liquid Tylenol in my IV.   In ten seconds, it hit! It was like a nice glass of wine and relaxed me.  Relief finally.  She said it would hit me hard and fast since I dont drink....it was a good feeling so I may have to start drinking wine more often!

I remember waking up in recovery and immediately feeling to see if my breast was still there.  It was, so I went back to sleep.  After a few deep breaths and coughing I went back to my outpatient room.  More breathing and coughing before I could go home.  And, getting my blood pressure down . It was HIGH!

After all was good, we headed home! I came home with vicadone(sp) but I haven't needed it. I took half of one last night and the others half this morning.  I've been staying awake longer and getting more alert.

I have a sore throat (3-4 days prob) and a drainage tube that crazy horse drains for me.   No pain to speak of, just discomfort and puffiness under my arm with that incision.  My head spins and my stomach is upset but it'll pass. I have a sea sickness patch behind my ear to help with the upset tummy.

I thank my beautiful daughter for putting a post on fb last night.   She's right, I have enjoyed reading my texts and fb posts today!

Nap time!! Thank you for your prayers, pleases continue them as the future holds some tough treatments for my body and mind.  I KNOW I am blessed with a caring husband, great children who love their mom, and friends who I love and love me.  I loved all of you before Willard entered the picture, so now it's just leaning on that friendship for prayers and giggles and love.




2 comments:

  1. Hey Deb - so glad you posted this today and I'm glad the surgery is behind you and Willard is gone. Sounds like you've got some pretty big incisions - hope they heal quickly. I am really happy to hear that you em laugh because laughing is always a good thing. Thanks for keeping us up to date. Hope to see your smiley face soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. . . . so now, it's time to take care of YOU. I know, you usually put yourself last, but now it is time to put yourself FIRST. Let others take care of YOU for awhile - it's your turn - your deserve it and need it. I am a phone call, a text, or a few miles drive away. You want Tastee's?!? I'll make it happen! : ) Whatever you need, girl - I'm here! With you, in thoughts and prayers, always!
    Teen : )

    ReplyDelete