Friday, September 28, 2012

So the Old Deb is back again,....*sigh*

That's the comment I got from my Crazy Horse this morning as we left for work.  He was being his usual helpful self, carrying my lunch for me to the pickup.  I tried to take it from him and he wanted to carry it....

My comment was, "I'm not lazy, It's not heavy, And I'm not dying, so I can carry it".  His face dropped and he says, "So I guess the old Deb is back again.  You're not going to let me help you anymore".  I quickly told him he could still help, I'm not fully recovered and my arm still hurts.

I never pictured myself not living to be 103.  So next Friday when I take my first chemo treatment I will celebrate the second half of my life birthday. 

I will have a scan next Wednesday to provide a baseline of the rest of my body.  My oncologist Dr feels strongly that there is probobly not any other places right now.  BUT, there could be a reoccurance in 5, 10 or even 20 years.   So we are going forward to try to prevent any chance of that happening.  Next Wednesday I will have a baseline scan of my torso to check for any other spots, but mostly to have as a point to go forward from.  Then next Friday, I will have my first chemo treatment.  It will start around 11 a.m. and get done around 4:30 p.m.  After that, it will be once a week for about an hour.  This treatment will be detailed as they give me drugs to protect my heart, (yes, they found one), bone marrow, help in not getting sick to my stomach....and all the other things that will provide me with a healthy life in the future.

BALD IS BEAUTIFUL!!

Hair loss is one side effect that the drugs won't stop from happening.  So sometime in the next 3-4 weeks, you will see me with a scarf or hat on.  Don't hate me because I am beautiful bald!! LOLOLOL!!! 

I WISH everyone had the opportunity to work at BMS for Mrs. Still!!  I could write a whole separate blog about her.  If there was ever a mortal Wonder Women, it would be Peggy Still.  Other than her punching me in my bad arm one day, she is Perfect!

Why do I say that now?  Well, she has agreed to let me handle my baldness on my terms.  I have a book fair in two weeks.  I am challenging the students to purchase 1000 books from the book fair and I will buzz my head.  Of course when announced, the boys go crazy, most of the girls giggle and a few of my "special ones who touch my heart" say NO!!  I assure them I will rock it with scarves and hats!!

It has been one of my fears that I would scare our students with my changes.  Mrs. Still pointed out that most all of them have already been touched by cancer.  And as we go forward and they may question my changes, we can introduce them to what a survivor of cancer can do!  So if it does hit their family, they can say "No worries! Mrs. Tackett still works and smiles and is ALIVE!" 

So on that note, as a I live the last week of the first part of my life, I rejoice in the friendships I've made in the last 15 years.  You are the ones that are sending me chocolate intercampus, notes, and flowers and dark chocolate and hugs and gift cards for meals and drive thru meals and meals delivered and HUGS and texts.  My heart is so full. 

My love to you all!  You DO make a difference in my life!

4 comments:

  1. You are amazing. You really are. I am blessed to know you and go on this journey with you!!! XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ARE going to rock those scarves and hats! You pretty much rock everything with your happy smile, cute sense of humor and positive attitude. I'm thinking about you daily, and I look forward to your blog posts. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the bravest women I know! You are awesome! The students at BMS are lucky to have you! You inspire all of us! You will definitely rock the scarves and hats - you are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peggy did make a great point. You are a great inspiration to all of us. I know although the kids will see many changes on the outside, they will embrace their favorite librarian with that great smile, sense of humor who is rocking those scarves and hats. Who knows, you might really like the "bald is beautiful" thing. My sister rocked that phrase too. Thinking of you each and every day. Love you girl and can't wait to celebrate each year with you as a SURVIVOR.

    ReplyDelete